Revealed Jan 19, 2020
The 108th version of the Australian Open begins on Monday because the world’s finest tennis gamers battle it out on the first grand slam of 2020.
Novak Djokovic and Naomi Osaka will return to defend the titles they gained final yr, including to the occasion’s storied historical past.
The pair will face stiff competitors from stacked fields within the males’s and girls’s draw as a number of gamers search glory in Melbourne.
To whet your urge for food for the forthcoming feast of tennis, here’s a collection of the very best Opta information associated to the Australian Open.
– The final three years have seen the 12 girls’s grand slam tournaments being gained by 10 totally different gamers; solely Simona Halep and Osaka have gained twice in that span.
– Djokovic gained his seventh Australian Open title in 2019, essentially the most of any male participant within the historical past of the match. He has gained the occasion each time he has reached the semi-finals.
— #AusOpen (@AustralianOpen) January 10, 2020
– Of the final 14 editions of the Australian Open, 12 have been gained by both Djokovic (7) or Roger Federer (5) – Rafael Nadal (2009) and Stan Wawrinka (2014) are the one different winners in that interval.
– Victoria Azarenka (2012, 2013), Serena Williams (2009, 2010) and Jennifer Capriati (2001, 2002) are the one girls to have gained successive titles on the Australian Open since 2000.
– Federer gained his sixth Australian Open title in 2018, 14 years after his first win on the occasion; no participant has gained a number of Australian Open titles over an extended interval within the Open Period. It’s his final win in a grand slam match thus far.
– Since 2005 solely Williams (2010, 2015) and Azarenka (2013) have gained the title on the Australian Open because the primary ranked participant on the planet.
– Williams has not gained any of the final 11 grand slams, along with her final victory coming on the Australian Open in 2017 when she was pregnant – that is the American’s longest span with out a main title.
— #AusOpen (@AustralianOpen) January 15, 2020
– Petra Kvitova misplaced within the ultimate of the Australian Open final yr, the one time she went additional than the quarter-finals in her final 19 grand slam appearances, since successful Wimbledon in 2014.
– Both Nadal or Andy Murray has been the runner-up in 9 of the final 10 Australian Open males’s finals, Murray shedding 5 occasions and Nadal 4. Marin Cilic in 2018 is the one different participant to lose an Australian Open ultimate in that span.
– The final time an Australian made it to the boys’s ultimate on the Australian Open was Lleyton Hewitt in 2005 and the final Australian to win the title was Mark Edmondson in 1976 (towards fellow Australian John Newcombe).
Fetching extra content material…