The NHL Awards in Las Vegas have been postponed — and will ultimately be totally canceled — however that doesn’t imply we will’t do our personal voting proper right here, proper?!?
For some cause or one other, members of the Professional Hockey Writers Association (PHWA) don’t get to vote on the Vezina (most effective goalie), Jack Adams (coach of the yr), and the newly named Jim Gregory (GM of the yr). But for the sake of enjoyable throughout this “pause” in the NHL season on account of the coronavirus pandemic, let’s vote on all of them.
Let the debate start!
Hart Trophy (the participant judged to be the most respected to his workforce)
1. Leon Draisaitl: The winger has been so essential to the second-place Oilers that not solely did he carry them for the seven video games missed by the most effective participant in the recreation, Connor McDavid, however I truly realized how one can spell his identify accurately with out wanting!
2. Artemi Panarin: Watching the man on daily basis with the Rangers was an eye-opener to how good he’s at each ends of the rink — and take the plus-36 ranking for what it’s. But the league-leading 71 even-strength factors is indeniable, 5 greater than Draisaitl in two much less video games.
3. David Pastrnak: Yes, the Bruins are very deep, and sure, Pastrnak has 38 of his 95 factors on the energy play. But he’s the most effective participant on the most effective workforce, too.
Honorable point out: Nathan MacKinnon (COL), Nikita Kucherov (TBL), Alex Ovechkin (WAS)
Norris Trophy (the defenseman who demonstrates all through the season the biggest all-round potential in the place)
1. Roman Josi: It isn’t solely about his second-best 65 factors in 69 video games, however Josi has stored his disappointing Predators related and eventually deserves to win this award in an excellent and someway under-the-radar profession.
2. John Carlson: Boy that eight-year, $64 million deal that Carlson signed in the summer time of 2018 is absolutely weighing on him, huh? He leads all defenseman with 75 factors in 69 video games.
3. Victor Hedman: Arguably the most essential defenseman to his workforce over the previous 5 years, Hedman nonetheless manages to supply offensively, with 55 pointsin 66 video games for the Lightning.
Honorable point out: Quinn Huges (VAN), Tory Krug (BOS), Alex Pietrangelo (STL).
Vezina Trophy (goalkeeper adjudged to be the most effective at this place)
1. Tuukka Rask: The Bruins netminder has certainly benefited from the sharing the workload with the regular Jaroslav Halak, however Rask has been glorious with a league-leading .929 save share and a couple of.12 goals-against common.
2. Carter Hart: All of 21 years previous, Hart has given the Flyers their long-awaited reply in nets whereas his 2.42 goals-against common has them battling for first in the division.
3. Jacob Markstrom: The Canucks are usually not the most defensively accountable workforce, however the towering Swede earned his first All-Star look and emerged as a real No. 1.
Honorable point out: Connor Hellebuyck (WIN), Andrei Vasilevskiy (TBL), Ben Bishop (DAL)
Selke Trophy (the ahead who most effective excels in the defensive points of the recreation)
1. Patrice Bergeron: Voting for anybody else in addition to the Bruins superlative middle is simply looking for a means to not vote for the most effective two-way ahead of his technology. Don’t overthink it.
2. Sean Couturier: The Flyers middle is getting extra consideration with extra offense in his recreation, however he has at all times been one of the most effective in his personal zone and at the face-off dot.
3. Anthony Cirelli: Underrated middle for the Lightning, getting the fifth-most penalty-kill time per recreation amongst league forwards (2:49 per) whereas including a tie for secondwith a plus-28 ranking.
Honorable point out: Mark Stone (VGK), Mika Zibanejad (NYR), Phillip Danault (MON)
Calder Trophy (participant chosen as the most proficient in his first yr of competitors in the NHL)
1. Cale Makar: This could be one of the most effective rookie seasons in current reminiscence, as the reigning Hobey Baker Award winner out of UMass has made the Avalanche very proud of 50 factors in 57 video games on the backend.
2. Quinn Hughes: Older brother of Jack, the Devils’ No. 1-overall choose in 2019, Quinn has nonetheless lived as much as his billing as the No. 7-overall choose by the Canucks from 2018. The diminutive defenseman has terrific imaginative and prescient, with 45 assists in 68 video games.
3. Adam Fox: Another collegiate star, the Rangers lucked out with Fox, who got here out of Harvard and has solely gotten higher as the season has gone one, including 42 factors whereas taking part in all 70 video games.
Honorable point out: Victor Olofsson (BUF), Dominik Kubalik (CHI), Nick Suzuki (MTL)
Lady Byng Trophy (participant adjudged to have exhibited the most effective sort of sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct mixed with a excessive customary of taking part in potential)
1. Ryan O’Reilly: Similar to Bergeron with the Selke, one thing must drastically change for the Blues centerpiece to not earn this award yearly for the foreseeable future.
2. Josh Bailey: It’s arduous to suppose of what might truly get underneath the pores and skin of the Islanders veteran ahead, however the 10 penalty minutes in 68 video games exhibits the reply to be little or no.
3. Teuvo Teravainen: One of the Hurricanes younger stars, the winger has 63 factors in 68 video games to go together with a scarce eight penalty minutes. He lets Andrei Svechnikov do most of the speaking and shoving.
Honorable point out: Matt Nieto (COL), James van Riemsdyk (PHI), Frans Nielsen (DET)
Jack Adams Award (coach adjudged to have contributed the most to his workforce’s success)
1. John Tortorella: A landslide victory for the man who has someway stored the Blue Jackets afloat regardless of debilitating offseason departures and devastating in-season accidents.
2. Alain Vigneault: It would have been attention-grabbing to see how the red-hot Flyers completed the common season, and it brings to thoughts Vigneault’s first yr with the Rangers once they made it to the 2014 Stanley Cup Final.
3. Mike Sullivan: The Penguins have handled prolonged accidents to Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, and are nonetheless combating for playoff positioning.
Honorable point out: Bruce Cassidy (BOS), Rick Bowness (DAL), Rod Brind’Amour (CAR)
Jim Gregory General Manager of the Year
1. Joe Sakic: No complacency after dropping in Game 7 of the second circular a yr in the past, as the Avalanche GM obtained the most for shifting Tyson Barrie to Toronto over the summer time, added Andre Burakovsky from the Capitals, solidified his backside six, and located a goaltending tandem.
2. Don Sweeney: Not straightforward to maintain a workforce principally intact after dropping in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final, however the Boston GM was rightfully giving it one other go with out completely mortgaging the future.
3. Jeff Gorton: The Rangers are the mannequin of rebuilding round the league, made fairly a bit simpler when the likes of Artemi Panarin and Jacob Trouba resolve they wish to signal there. The future is vibrant on Broadway.
Honorable point out: Julien BriseBois (TBL), Chuck Fletcher (PHI), George McPhee (VGK)