The Post’s Mike Vaccaro ranks the top 10 faces in New York sports in every decade from the 1950s to the 2010s.
1. Mickey Mantle; 2. Frank Gifford; 3. Willie Mays; 4. Jackie Robinson; 5. Yogi Berra; 6. Charley Conerly; 7. Andy Bathgate; 8. Casey Stengel; 9. Duke Snider; 10. Roy Campanella
Vac: No record of this decade can be legit with out Willie, Mickey and the Duke — and Yogi and Campy every contributed three of the 11 MVPs awards in the ’50s for the three metropolis groups. And no workforce in New York historical past was as beloved because the mid-’50s soccer Giants, repped by their two Glamor Boys, Giff and Chuckin’ Charley.)
1. Joe Namath; 2. Tom Seaver; 3. Walt Frazier; 4. Mickey Mantle; 5. Roger Maris; 6. Willis Reed; 7. Whitey Ford; 8. Y.A. Title; 9. Rod Gilbert; 10. Bill Bradley
Vac: The Jets, Mets and Knicks had been all blessed with seminal acquisitions that sparked championships in Namath (Super Bowl III MVP), Seaver (’69 Cy Young) and Bradley (essentially the most well-known beginner basketball participant in the world). Tittle was already an immortal when he got here to city, however rapidly turned a stalwart at each Yankee Stadium and Toots Shor’s)
1. Reggie Jackson; 2. George Steinbrenner; 3. Julius Erving; 4. Tom Seaver; 5. Walt Frazier; 6. Thurman Munson; 7. Earl Monroe; 8. Secretariat; 9. Red Holzman; 10. Ron Guidry
Vac: The Yankees dominated baseball and returned pages all through the last decade, so whereas they get 40 % — they might’ve gotten extra. Football in New York lay in state for everything of the ’70s, which is how Secretariat — born in Virginia, raised in Florida however confirmed a celebrity in New York City — cracks the record. And could should be greater.
1. Lawrence Taylor; 2. Dwight Gooden; 3. Don Mattingly; 4. Bill Parcells; 5. Bernard King; 6. Darryl Strawberry; 7. Chris Mullin; 8. Phil Simms; 9. Mike Bossy; 10. Keith Hernandez
Vac: Maybe essentially the most star-studded decade of all, you’d higher both be a champion (LT, Doc, Tuna, Straw, Simms, Bossy, Mex) or a ridiculously dominant power (Mattingly, Mullin, King) — and even that didn’t assist such near-misses as Gary Carter, Bryan Trottier, Dave Winfield and Joe Klecko).
1. Derek Jeter; 2. Mark Messier; 3. Patrick Ewing; 4. Joe Torre; 5. Pat Riley; 6. Mariano Rivera; 7. Brian Leetch; 8. Mike Piazza; 9. Keyshawn Johnson; 10. Martin Brodeur
Vac: Of course, the ’90s was no slouch, both: Nine of the 10 are Hall of Famers, and the one outlier — Keyshawn — would completely advantage inclusion as a first-ballot back-page Hall of Famer. How sturdy is that this record? Brodeur may effectively be the best goalie of all time — and it’s unimaginable to make a case that he belongs greater than 10.
1. Eli Manning; 2. Alex Rodriguez; 3. Derek Jeter; 4. David Wright; 5. Mariano Rivera; 6. Mike Piazza; 7. Jason Kidd; 8. Tiki Barber; 9. Michael Strahan; 10. Roger Clemens
Vac: Half this record (Eli, A-Rod, Jeter, Rivera, Piazza) had been adequate, lengthy sufficient to look in two completely different a long time, and it’s onerous to argue that any of them don’t belong. The fleeting nature of an athlete’s “face”-ness is underlined by the truth that Latrell Sprewell would’ve appeared a shoe-in, and so would Curtis Martin. Titles would’ve helped each.
1. Odell Beckham Jr.; 2. Eli Manning; 3. Jeremy Lin; 4. Carmelo Anthony; 5. Rex Ryan; 6. Henrik Lundqvist; 7. Alex Rodriguez; 8. Aaron Judge; 9. Matt Harvey; 10. Jacob deGrom
Vac: How nice was Eli? No different athlete got here this near being No. 2 in two completely different a long time. How spectacular was Linsanity? Enough that Lin is that this excessive on the record for 3 wonderful weeks, and it’s onerous to argue.